Saturday, January 23, 2010

No Time To Stand And Stare

Three days back, I was downstairs staring at the road, expecting my cab. I was late to office and to my dismay; the driver had informed me about another ten minute delay due to the traffic block somewhere in the city. After few minutes a kid came out of the elevator followed by his caretaker. The moment he was out, he started running around the corridor, excited about the wide space around him. A minute later another tot of his age came out of the same elevator. The company seemed to get more exciting and the two ran after each other ever happily.

It was a great pleasure watching them having a gala time. They were not bothered about how the rest of the day would go. They were not bothered about their nationalities. They weren’t bothered about the two caretakers who were running behind them. They weren’t bothered about their back packs. They weren’t bothered about the weather. (It was a cold day.) They fell on each other and began to rise immediately, but weren’t about the fall as well.

To put the scene to an end; came the school bus. The name read ‘Salmiya Play School’. Now it was the caretakers’ turn to put the back packs in place. One of them grabbed one of the kid’s arm and dragged him towards the bus. The other kid started down the few stairs, when he stood for a second staring at the bus (not sure what was on his mind). The next second, the caretaker shook him from his thoughts, directing him towards the bus. I wonder if the kid would get another minute of the whole day to stare at anything.

Then is when I realized, I had a few minutes to stare. Thanks to the traffic. Since then, it’s taken me three days to pen down this post.

What is this Life if Full of care
We have no time to stand and stare!!!!

--William Henry Davies


The woods are lovely dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And Miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

--Robert Frost

4 comments:

Chiju said...

very very true.. no one has that time to stand and stare! if you keep staring for sometime.. they'd either do the funeral for you or take u to a mental hospital! pity today's speedy world! :(

The Maverick Blog said...

Good one Swathi... Liked ur style of writing especially in this post..

Swathi Vaidyanathan said...

@Chiju: Very True!!!

@Sunil: Thank u. :)

VJ said...

I agree!

I hardly take time off to stare myself!

If only we didn't think so much. We wouldn't complicate our lives so much! :)