Monday, August 23, 2010

Happy Rakshabandan

Rakshabandan, the very word reminds us of brothers all-round the world. Being a south Indian, it’s not part of tradition. But I got to the habit of wishing my brothers and tie a Rakhi on their hands if possible.

This post is to celebrate this year’s Rakshabandan and to wish all my brothers. Fortunately enough, I have always been surrounded by brothers from the time I can recall my memory. They are the best bunch – be it fun, talent or anything else. All the more I always was the only sis they had for a long time. Likewise my uncle always used to call me ‘Princess’. Being the only girl in a large family definitely has it’s own advantages. But the disadvantage was that you would be left alone at times. But this never was an issue, as I used to join these chaps in all their activities. I even remember playing street cricket with them at times or roam around the colony riding bicycles.

Rakshabandan normally falls on the same day as ‘avaniavittam’, a small festival celebrated by ‘Brahmins’. On this day, normally all the boys gather at one place to perform a rituals and change their ‘Poonal’ (the sacred thread). Also this day they get small gifts mostly in the form of money from the elders in the family. The first time I celebrated Rakshabandan was on of those days when all the boys had gathered in my uncle’s place. I can recollect the excitement I had that day to Rakhi. My mother had got the bands ready along with some chocolates. Since morning I waited for the arrival of each one of them and thrust the dairy milk into their hands and tied the rakhi. Then at the time of lunch, it was my little sis’s (the youngest) turn. She got the boys’s lined up and tied the rakhi. I bet that she being the youngest won the collection that day.

Here are a few photographs of this wonderful bunch.

Navin(Navdoz) and Kiran (Kichoo)
Neeraj(Neeju), Sriraj(Chiju) and me

Karan (Chicoo), Rajiv anna, Keerthi (Nikki)

Srikanth(Cheeka), Srinath (Cheens), Chiju and me

Dear Bro’s
Wishing u a very Happy Rakshabandan. Pray and wish you all success in all your endeavours!!!



4 comments:

Chiju said...

Its always been wonderful to have a sister, to keep a check on me then and there! :) If not for you, i'd not have been even close to who I am today! Wish you a very happy Raksha Bandhan. Wish you all happiness and luck. :)

$ph!nX said...

It's always better to have a younger brother as well. Esp. one as naughty and affectionate as your 'rettai chuli' one :P

Happy RakshaBandhan :)

Swathi Vaidyanathan said...

@Chiju: :)

@Aneesh: How True!!! Wish u a very happy Rakshabandan, bro!!!

Neeju Speaks said...

im really sry for the late reply....but belated Happy Raksha Bhandhan akka....proud to have a sis like you...