Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day

Mother's day wishes everywhere reminds me of the very first time I celebrated this day with my mom. If I remember right I was nine or ten then.  It was a period when hardly anybody in our part of the world had heard about it. She was resting on her bed reading the weekly and pointed out to an article and said "Do you know tomorrow is mother's day. And kids celebrate it by hiding greeting cards in cupboards/shelves or any place to surprise their mom. So what are u going to do?" And  I said "OK. ..let me see" and went away quietly.
That night before going to bed, I went to my table, tore a piece of ruled paper from a rough book, grabbed a ball point pen and scribbled "Happy Mother's Day" and quickly drew a flower. You know am pretty bad at art. I sneaked into the dining hall and put the paper on the vessel of idli batter in the refrigerator.
Next morning (it was a holiday), I was waiting to see her reaction, but to my anxiety, she didn't seem to have found it. I gave up and continued with my daily work. It was around 10 AM, I was writing my homework sitting at the dining table with my back facing the kitchen. I turned around to ask her something and found her dancing with the paper pinned to her dress. We hugged & kissed; it was such a bliss.

Twenty plus years pass by and my daughter surprises me with her little card and sweet words 'Happy mother's day'. It was such a bliss.

Today social media runs the show. Facebook is loaded with selfies and posts to celebrate mother's day. Be it for passion or fashion mom's are always happy to know that you love her too. Just words will fulfil, but ensure that she hears you say 'I love you too'

3 comments:

Chiju said...

Ha ha! Diksha is growing up.. fast..

Here I'm struggling to write any post and you make it so simple with such a nice post that seems to have everything! :) Always an inspiration.

Swathi Vaidyanathan said...

Badly wanted to post something and could not get it coming through. I almost gave up when I saw 2 posts on fb. 1. A video potraying a guy who wa its for likes on fb for his mothers day selfie when his mom is crying for domestic help, suffering from back pain. 2. A happy mom posting the pic of her Lil daughter's handmade greeting..& that was the spark.

Swathi Vaidyanathan said...

Badly wanted to post something and could not get it coming through. I almost gave up when I saw 2 posts on fb. 1. A video potraying a guy who wa its for likes on fb for his mothers day selfie when his mom is crying for domestic help, suffering from back pain. 2. A happy mom posting the pic of her Lil daughter's handmade greeting..& that was the spark.